News » Whistler

WSS grad gets top academic honour



Mike Daugulis presented with Governor General’s Academic Medal

Whistler Secondary School grad Mike Daugulis has been rewarded for his near perfect academic record with one of the most prestigious awards in Canada.

Daugulis received the bronze Governor General’s Academic Medal from WSS Principal Ken Davies last Friday.

The medal is awarded to the student who achieves the highest average upon graduation from their high school.

After all the final exams were marked and graded Daugulis had scored 98.4 per cent – an achievement that Davies calls "absolutely staggering."

That is the highest average the school has ever seen.

"It’s our honour to award him this honour," said Davies.

During his last year at WSS Daugulis studied Biology, Chemistry, English, Math and History.

The teachers at WSS graded 60 per cent of his marks in each course and the provincial exams made up the remaining 40 per cent of the marks.

"So how you do on our provincial exams has a dramatic impact on your final result," said Davies.

Daugulis had the top grade point average at the school even before the results from the provincial exams were tallied.

Though the medal only recognizes academic achievement, Daugulis was also involved in sports and social committees like Dry Grad while he was a student at WSS. Davies said there are no holes in his résumé.

"It’s rare to see such a highly tuned individual at such a young age," he said.

At his graduation ceremony in June Daugulis won 11 awards and was recognized in athletics for his enthusiasm in intramural sports and involvement with the golf team and in service and citizenship within the school.

Daugulis travelled to Whistler with his parents on Friday to receive his award. He is currently studying at UBC where he is taking general sciences with thoughts of perhaps going into human kinetics or sports medicine down the road.

As for words of wisdom for any future grads following in his footsteps to university, Daugulis said he tries to keep ahead of his work so it doesn’t all build up at once.

And though it may be hard some mornings he said he makes sure he gets to all of his classes.

The Governor General’s Academic Medal was first awarded in 1873 by the Earl of Dufferin. It has become on of the most prestigious awards for students in Canada.

The medals are awarded only for academic excellence at four levels:

• bronze at the secondary school level;

• collegiate bronze at the post-secondary, diploma level;

• silver at the undergraduate level; and

• gold at the graduate level.