News » Whistler

Woman pleads guilty to mischief over role in Peak 2 Peak BASE jump

Kathleen Adams, 23, could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted



The Whistler woman accused of aiding a 25-year-old man illegally BASE jump from a Peak 2 Peak Gondola cabin in February has pled guilty for her role in the brazen stunt in North Vancouver court.

Kathleen Adams pleaded guilty to one count of mischief to property over $5,000 in provincial court last Wednesday, July 30. The prosecution is seeking an indictment, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

"As stated previously, she's taken responsibility for her involvement in this incident and is doing her best to make reparations for all the harm she caused as a result," said Adams's lawyer, Greg Diamond, who would not comment on what kind of sentence he will be requesting, as the matter is still before the court.

"Kathleen has a tremendous amount of support within the Whistler community due to her otherwise positive background and contributions to the community and her workplace," he added. "It's hoped that the sentencing judge will see her for who she is, and not for this one terrible mistake."

The 23-year-old Ontario native is co-accused with alleged BASE jumper Graham Dickinson, who reportedly pried open a gondola cabin door in order to illegally jump to the Fitzsimmons Creek below, causing over $10,000 in damage to the cabin doors and locking mechanism, according to Whistler Blackcomb. Adams had her season pass revoked and was banned from all Whistler Blackcomb properties except for food and beverage, and retail premises.

There is an outstanding warrant for Dickinson's arrest. The former B.C. resident is thought to have fled the country.

The court will fix a date for Adams's sentencing on Aug. 7.

Police news: Bayshores residents awoken by 'torrid screams' of woman

Bayshores residents were reportedly woken up by the sounds of a woman screaming Tuesday morning, Aug. 5, and police are still unsure about what, if anything, took place.

Police received a report around 6 a.m. of a female screaming and attended the area where Brandywine Way and Cheakamus Way meet, but could not locate the woman.

"We are still looking into it," said Whistler RCMP Sgt. Rob Knapton. "If anyone has any idea who it may be then we'd like them to give us a call, or the person can give us a call directly."

Several people living in the area reported hearing the screams, including one Bayshores resident who posted to the Whistler Summer Facebook group asking if anyone else heard "the torrid screams" of a woman, followed by sirens.

"Her screams were really alarming (and) went on for what seemed like 10 minutes" she added.

The Whistler RCMP Detachment can be reached at 604-932-3044.

Two injured in ATV accident on Cougar Mountain

An Abbotsford man and woman were injured in an ATV accident on Cougar Mountain Monday afternoon, Aug. 4.

Both the 40-year-old woman and 47-year-old man were taken to the Whistler Health Care Centre before it was determined the female required further medical attention and was transported by helicopter to a Vancouver hospital.

Sgt. Rob Knapton, with the Whistler RMCP, did not know the nature or extent of the pair's injuries.

A spokesperson with the Whistler RCMP was unable to provide media with a full police briefing this week. Check back with Pique next week for the full report.