Sports » Features

Wolf Pack crash into 2010 season

Squamish Junior B team to play in Whistler this Sunday



The Squamish Wolf Pack had the misfortune of taking on the national champion Richmond Sockeyes in their season opener on Sept. 3, but it's a new season and the Wolf Pack are a different team.

The Sockeyes were first on the board in just under two minutes, but the Wolf Pack answered back just over five minutes later to tie the game. The Wolf Pack took the lead a little later with a power play goal but the Sockeyes matched it in the last four minutes of the period to tie the game at 2-2.

The second period was a near-stalemate with the Sockeyes scoring just one goal. The third period was all Sockeyes with two unassisted goals.

All-in-all, a score of 5-2 represents an improvement for the Wolf Pack, although the team's weaknesses were obvious. For example, the Wolf Pack continues to have trouble staying out of the penalty box and accounted for seven of the eight penalties called during the game.

The Wolf Pack also allowed too many shots on goal with shell-shocked goalie Jon Clutton saving 47 of 52 shots. The Wolf Pack managed just 24 shots through the entire game, including just six in the second period.

The Wolf Pack were back in action at home on Sept. 5, hosting the Delta Ice Hawks.

The Ice Hawks came out hard in the first period, outshooting the Wolf Pack 20 to 7 and netting two goals in the process.

Squamish's Corey Koop was solid between the pipes for the Wolf Pack in this game, and was perfect in the last two periods while stopping 31 shots.

Squamish woke up in the second period with Jake Charles scoring seven minutes in. They also managed 19 shots on net, while Delta added another 20 to their tally.

The real breakthrough was in the third period as Squamish scored three unanswered goals in 13 shots. Whistler's Joshua Schaubroeck scored the last goal, with just three seconds remaining, in their 4-2 victory.

Squamish still accounted for the bulk of penalties with seven of nine infractions, but managed to put 39 shots on the board.

The Wolf Pack was back on the road Sunday for their third game in as many days, this time losing to the Grandview Steelers by a 3-1 margin.

It was a close game from the start with no goals until a power play goal with just 24 seconds left in the second period put Grandview ahead. The Wolf Pack scored four minutes into the third to tie the game, but the Steelers added two goals, including their second power play goal, to win the game.