News » Whistler

Whistler to host ‘Mr. Gay Canada competition


With one of the longest standing gay ski weeks in the industry and a history of hosting other gay-friendly events, Whistler was a natural choice to host the inaugural Mr. Gay Canada competition.

While the event promises three entertaining days, from Sept. 18 to 21, the competition is looking for a leader instead of eye candy — someone active in their own community and also comfortable speaking out for equal rights in Canada and on a global stage.

“We are working with the Fairmont (Chateau Whistler) team to come up with some very exciting challenges for our delegates that will test their abilities to think on their feet while evoking the brand qualities of Fairmont,” said Dean Nelson, the executive producer of the competition.

The events will take place indoors and outdoors, and include physical tests and interviews with a panel of judges. Just 15 per cent of points are based on appearance, with the remaining 85 per cent awarded for character and leadership.

The winner of the competition will receive a paid trip to Los Angeles to represent Canada in the International Mr. Gay Competition.

For more information visit