News » Whistler

Whistler RCMP looks into three break-ins in three hours

Cell phones, backpack, credit cards and bicycle gear stolen


Three break-ins in three hours within several blocks of each other have police warning people to take care over home security.

"We believe the break-ins were related," said Whistler RCMP Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair.

"We've had this happen before in this particular area and in the Benchlands. This happens a lot on long weekends, too... But these three break-ins are significant, we don't get a lot in Whistler."

The first, on Oct. 12 at 7.46 p.m., involved a break-in in the 4800-block of Casabella Crescent after the thief entered through an unlocked window in a ground floor bedroom and stole an iPhone.

The second, occurred the same day at 8:19 p.m. in a residence being rented for the weekend in the 4,700-block of Settebello Drive. Two two cell phones, an iPhone and a Nexus 4 were stolen. The complainant was upstairs in the property and went downstairs to discover they were missing. The thieves gained access through an unlocked glass-sliding door or an unlocked front door.

In the third incident, to which police were called on Oct. 12, at 9:20 p.m. at the 3800-block of Casabella Crescent, someone entered a ground floor bedroom through an unlocked sliding door. A backpack, a black Samsung Galaxy cell phone, ID, cycling gear and credit cards were taken.

Five ATVs stolen

Police were called after five used Honda all-terrain vehicles were discovered stolen from a business in Whistler Village on Oct. 9 at 10 a.m.

The ATVs had been locked up on the evening of Oct. 7. Their serial numbers were added to police computer as stolen. Anyone with information is encouraged to call CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Man facing charges for breach of probation

Police dealt with a 26-year-old Whistler man in four disturbances in the past week.

In the first two incidents, on Oct. 8 at 11:55 p.m., RCMP received a call about a man outside a Whistler pub, who was smashing beer bottles. Police found the man to be bleeding from minor cuts. He was cooperative with officers. However, two hours later at 2.02 a.m. officers returned when the same man was thrown out of a nightclub after threatening to stab staff. One staff member said the man had urinated in the middle of the street, shouting obscenities. RCMP foot patrols did not locate him.

Two days later, Oct. 11 at 3 a.m., a fight between five men brought police to a business on The Stoll. All but one man, the man from the previous two incidents, had fled by the time police arrived. He was arrested for being drunk in a public place and breach of probation, after inquiries revealed he was meant to abstain from possession and consumption of alcohol. He was held for court the next morning, but Crown decided not to proceed with charges and he was released.

Several hours later, at 12:48 p.m., RCMP were called in after the man was observed drinking in public and trying to punch another man in front of a coffee shop in Marketplace. He was again arrested on breach of release conditions, for causing a disturbance and resisting arrest. He was held over the weekend for court and is now facing numerous charges.