News » Whistler

Whistler police recover stolen car

Police briefs: Eight driving prohibitions levied; Squamish SAR busy



Two stolen cars wound their way across B.C. before being recovered in the last week.

In one incident, a vehicle stolen from Whistler Village was later discovered in Kamloops. The grey 2002 Honda Civic was reported stolen to police on Jan. 31 at approximately 6:35 p.m. The car had been parked at a lot in the 4000 block of Whistler Way. It was found in Kamloops on Feb. 4 and is being examined for fingerprints by the Forensic Identification Section. Anyone with information on the theft is encouraged to contact Whistler RCMP at 604-932-3044 or Sea to Sky Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

In the other incident, a Whistler RCMP officer stopped a suspicious vehicle with an Alberta licence plate at the intersection of Alpha Lake Road and Highway 99 just after 8:30 p.m. on Jan. 31. After searching the licence plate number, the officer learned the car had been reported stolen from Red Deer, Alta. and that its vehicle identification number was altered.

The 29-year-old Pemberton man driving the vehicle was arrested for possession of stolen property. He received a four-month driving prohibition for an unrelated Motor Vehicle Act offence. The man was released on a promise to appear and is due in court in North Vancouver on March 6.

Drunk drivers receive prohibitions

Whistler and Pemberton RCMP took eight impaired drivers off the road last week.

Police doled out six 90-day immediate roadside prohibitions as well as a three-day prohibition and a 24-hour suspension.

"Those who choose to drink and drive can expect no leniency. Avoid being in this situation by having an alternate way to get home after an evening's celebration," stated an RCMP release.

Squamish SAR busy with rescues

A woman rock climbing near the Conroy Forest Service Road sustained serious injuries after falling on Jan. 29.

BC Ambulance requested assistance from the RCMP around 4:15 p.m., but were unable to reach the climber because of a build-up of ice in the area. The Squamish Search and Rescue team helped get the climber out by helicopter. She was taken to Vancouver General Hospital by the air ambulance service.

Two days later, on Jan. 31, a hiker on the Elfin Lake Hike Trail fell and was unable to walk out. A friend hiking with him called the RCMP officers for assistance, who then turned to Squamish Search and Rescue to air lift the man out from the trail. He was taken to the Squamish General Hospital.