Okay, so Wanderlust arrives today (Thursday) which is great news for yogis, music-lovers and eco-foodies and other health-concerned individuals.
If you missed our coverage last week, the festival might still be a bit confusing. Naturally, you might be asking what, exactly, Wanderlust even is.
Well, ask no more, for here is Pique's festival guide. For further coverage of Wanderlust, see here, here, here, and of course, here.
What is Wanderlust, again?
In short, Wanderlust is a music festival and a resort-wide yoga retreat. Combine that with some eco-friendly food-and-wine experiences, a TED Talks-style lecture series and assorted outdoor activities and you have Whistler's newest festival.
As of 2012, the festival is held in four ski resorts across North America. Sean Hoess and Jeff Krasno started following their inspiring experiences at yoga retreats. The pair owned a New York music label together throughout the '90s and sought to bridge their expertise in the music business with the ever-expanding popularity of yoga in North America.
The first Wanderlust was held in Squaw Valley, California, in 2009 and included musical acts Spoon, Common, Broken Social Scene, among others. After taking 2010 off, the festival returned to Squaw Valley, with another one in Bondville, Vermont. Copper Mountain Resort, Colorado has been added in 2012, along with Whistler.
Music and yoga at one festival?
Yes, well...Hoess says it's not "as crazy as it sounds.
"Both music and yoga are expressions stemming from the heartbeat and breath — with music, it's a matter of creating rhythms and sounds. With yoga, it's a matter of finding a pace within the individual's own rhythms through breathing and the heartbeat. There will be live performances at certain classes.
"A lot of people have found that those two things are very synchronous, particularly with live music — and it's one of the things that we do at Wanderlust and it's one of the things that separates us."
Who, exactly, is this festival for?
"Well, uh, that's an interesting one," Hoess says.
"I can't really say who it's for exactly," he adds, nothing that there will be "different things for different people."
He says the core audience (about 70 per cent) is female, between 25 and 44 years of age. The remaining 30 per cent is made up all walks of life — small children, elderly men, wine enthusiasts, music nerds, you name it.
The orthodoxy is that the Wanderlust philosophy complements the Whistler temperament quite well — a whole lot of yoga, some hiking, biking, some live music and a little wining and dining — which is why the RMOW has contributed $100,000 to the festival to augment their programming. It's a festival that celebrates the healthier (and finer) aspects in life, much like the majority of Whistler locals.