News » Whistler

Two motorcycle crashes close Highway 99

Vehicles becoming an issue for law enforcement



The RCMP are asking motorcyclists to slow down after four riders ended up in the hospital over the weekend in two separate incidents.

On Saturday, one lane of the Sea to Sky Highway was closed for almost two hours after a male and female on Harley Davidson motorcycles crashed into each other near Porteau Cove. According to the RCMP, the two bikes became separated in traffic and the driver of one of the bikes sped up to pass another vehicle in order to rejoin the other driver. However, the bike in front slowed and the second driver crashed into it.

Both were airlifted to Vancouver General Hospital.

During the police investigation the highway was reduced to single-lane, alternating traffic.

At roughly the same time, a 44-year-old New Westminster male riding Highway 99 near Britannia Beach went off the road after he was forced to slow down quickly and ended up in the ditch. He didn't hit any vehicles, and received minor injuries.

The previous day a Chilliwack man was injured after he lost control of motorcycle in the Abbotsford area. He was riding with a group of other motorcycles when the injury occurred.

The injuries have come at a time that the RCMP is using helicopters to patrol the highways for speeding motorcycles, working with ground units to intercept riders. Eight individuals were given tickets for excessive speeding (40km/h or more over the speed limit) and had their bikes impounded for seven days. In extreme cases, the RCMP is looking to seize bikes permanently under a law that allows the seizure of property that has been used to commit a crime.


Male arrested in drug warrant


On August 5 the Whistler RCMP executed a search warrant at an apartment in Creekside as part of an investigation and discovered undetermined quantities of cocaine, marijuana and hash. A 36-year-old Whistler male, known to police, is facing charges of possession of a controlled substance and possibly additional charges as well.


Injured climber rescued in Pemberton area

A mountain climber summiting Mitier Peak tore his bicep on Aug. 2, prompting his guide to contact Pemberton Search and Rescue to send a helicopter to bring the man, a 53-year-old from Ontario, safely down the mountain. They were on the summit ride, an altitude of 9,100 feet for the helicopter pickup. The male was taken to the Pemberton health care centre for treatment, while the guide and other two climbers made it down on their own.


RCMP investigating assault

At 9:30 a.m. on Aug. 8, a male came into the RCMP detachment in Whistler to report an assault from the previous evening. According to the report a 27-year-old Whistler male punched the 25-year-old victim in the face outside a pizza establishment at around 2:30 a.m. The attacker was known to the victim. The RCMP is taking statements and interviewing witnesses, and may proceed with an assault charge against the 27-year-old.


Bike thefts continue

Despite the previous week's reprieve from bike thefts with just one bike reported stolen, last week's numbers were on the high side with five bikes stolen in Whistler and one in Pemberton. Again, owners are urged to secure their bikes at all times, and to make note of serial numbers and other things that could help identify the bike.

The Whistler RCMP has also noticed the growing number of cyclists not wearing helmets as required on roadways, and are planning a campaign in the future that will likely start off with warnings before moving into enforcement.



Add a comment