Sports » Features

Sports Briefs

Bikes stolen from Tantalus Drive



Thieves target Crankworx bikes

A thief or thieves broke into the Iron Horse/MadCatz trailer in Whistler on Monday night, stealing some very expensive bikes belonging to World Cup stars Steve Peat of Great Britain and Sam Hill of Australia.

Jacy Shumilak, the team mechanic, also lost a bike.

According to the report at, Steve Peat lost a V10 in team colors, with Black Box Juicy brakes. Sam Hill lost a 17-inch Sunday in monster green with an 07 front triangle and Black Box Gold brakes, and an Azure Factory 19-inch anodized black with a Reba World Cup fork. Jacy Shumilak lost a 2005 blue MKIII frame.

The trailer was locked, but the thief or thieves cut throught the metal to remove the bikes.

The owners are offering a reward for any tip that leads to the recovery of the bikes or the arrest of the thieves. Call 1-800-645-5477, ext. 206 with information.

On Tuesday night RCMP responded to a theft of four bikes from a locked trailer parked on Tantalus Drive. Four custom-designed bikes and an equipment bag were stolen from a trailer with the "Monster" drink logo on the sides.

The theft is believed to have occurred between midnight and 6:30 a.m. July 25.

Anyone with any information is asked to call the Whistler RCMP at 604-932-3044 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Thomas solid at TransAlp Challenge

Whistler’s Lloyd Thomas and partner Tracy Anderson completed the eight-stage, 700 km TransAlp Challenge mountain bike race through Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy this past Saturday, ranked an impressive 40 th out of 272 teams in the male category.

Their total time was 36 hours and 39 seconds, 7:28:29 back of the winning time.

They could have been ranked in the top 30 if not for a disaster on stage 2. After crossing the line in 35 th after the first stage, on stage 2 they went through four tubes and three patches with a sliced sidewall on a tire, and an hour and 15 minute penalty.

The pair cycled well the remaining six days, placing 37 th on Stage 3, 38 th on Stage 4, 29 th on Stage 5, 44 th on Stage 6, 27 th on Stage 7 and 23 rd on Stage 8.

Thomas kept a daily log of his efforts online at .

Marmots two for two, but miss SFU cut

The Whistler Hoary Marmots Rugby Football Club went undefeated at the Simon Fraser University Sevens tournament last Saturday, but still missed the cut for the tournament playoffs.

The team was late leaving Whistler, and when they finally arrived at SFU discovered that the tournament had moved to a field near Burnaby Lake. As a result the Marmots forfeited their first of three round robin match-ups.

The team came out hard in their next game against the Vancouver Velox, scoring three tries and three conversions to win 21-7.

They had a harder second game, taking on the Kitsilano Kats and their resident New Zealand players.

Whistler came out hard once again and took the win 31-19.

Despite the two wins, another team in Whistler’s pool won all three round robin games to advance to the playoff.

"We definitely had a couple of players who seemed like they could score at will, so it was a matter of defence to stay in it," said Brendan Flanagan. "I don’t know what would have happened if we moved on, but we were definitely having our way with those teams.

"It was disappointing, but it was so hot that after our second game I think everyone was kind of glad we didn’t have to keep playing. We got to go down there, play undefeated, and come home."

Goal scorers were Chris Morey, Mike Nannary, Drew Brunton (2), Narayan Green (2), Chris Duffy and Kevin Campbell.

The Marmots next regular exhibition game could be in two weeks, once details are confirmed. The team is still looking for players, and practices every Tuesday and Thursday at 6 p.m., Whistler Secondary.