Name: Sonya McCarthy
Occupation: Visitor Information Officer
Last book read: The Power of Intention, by Wayne W. Dyer
What music are you listening too these days: I enjoy all types of music. My last concert was 54-40.
Favourite recreational pursuits: Swimming, cycling and cross-country skiing.
1. Why are you running for council?
I really care what happens to Whistler, it is my home. I know that the people of Whistler want to have their opinions heard by council.
2. What are the biggest issues facing Whistler?
Employee housing and affordability. We are losing our long-term locals to Pemberton and Squamish because it is too expensive to live here.
3. What needs to be done to address those issues?
We have to address these issues or lose our spirit! How I would deal with this is that historically developers paid $6,000 in lieu instead of building an actual employee unit. This practice should be eliminated or the price increased to reflect the actual cost of building an employee unit. If both market and employee housing are both zoned on a site then the developer should be required to finish the employee housing.
4. How will Whistler 2020 help us?
I hope we still afford to be here in 15 years .
5. Name three things you expect to accomplish in this councils term.
1. Put some spirit and fun back into Whistler.
2. Develop more free activities for locals and visitors. Just look at the playground behind Marketplace. Why dont we flood the practice golf range for free skating this winter?
3. Bring back the town hall meetings and listen to the people's ideas.