News » Whistler

RCMP: surveillance results in arrests

Stolen goods recovered from Pemberton



The RCMP have arrested two men in Pemberton for theft and more arrests may be coming after recovering stolen goods from Whistler.

The police were conducting surveillance on several people believed to be involved in property crime and followed two of the individuals to a Pemberton property. The males attempted to break into a business and a heavy equipment storage trailer, and stole some items that were later recovered. They also damaged a coin machine in another business.

Police arrested one male and the other fled into the woods. He was later found and arrested with the assistance of a police dog.

The arrested men, a 29-year-old from Squamish and a 46-year-old from Kelowna, are both known to police.

The investigation is continuing as more stolen property has been located - including snowmobiles that were stolen in Whistler. The sleds were taken after the men were arrested and RCMP believe other men from the group may have been involved.

"We haven't located the suspects in that one yet," said Staff Sergeant Steve LeClair of the Whistler RCMP, although the investigation is continuing.


Witnesses sought in village punch-up


The RCMP is looking for any additional witnesses to an altercation that occurred at roughly 2:48 a.m. on Oct. 13.

According to the police, a nightclub doorman was walking home when another male jumped out of some bushes at Northlands Boulevard and Village Gate and struck him twice with an umbrella. The nightclub employee punched the other male and knocked him unconscious. He then flagged down a vehicle and the occupant helped provide first aid and call 911 for assistance.

The victim, a 20-year-old male from Quebec who was newly arrived in Whistler, was taken to the Whistler Health Care Centre, then sent on to Lions Gate Hospital. That afternoon it was reported that he was recovering and in stable condition.

According to the investigation, the umbrella-wielding man was causing a disturbance at the nightclub where the doorman worked, and according to reports he swatted a female with the umbrella. The male was known to carry an umbrella at all times.

The police are looking for any witnesses to the events leading up to the punch, in addition to the driver of the vehicle who knew the doorman. Contact 604-932-3044 if you have any information.


No further cougar calls

There have been no additional cougar sightings in Whistler after a person walking home was reportedly stalked by a cougar along the Valley Trail to the north of Creekside on the evening of Oct 6. Signs were posted in the area shortly afterwards to warn residents.

According to the conservation officer service, the woman did the right thing in that incident, getting off her bike and placing it between her and the cougar while acting aggressively. The cougar left the area.

"There are no further incidents or sightings for that cougar incident, so we haven't taken any further action on that," said conservation inspector Chris Doyle.

Meanwhile bear calls continue to come in. On Oct.16 a black bear had to be euthanized after it was wounded by a vehicle near Function Junction.

The bear was found by a walker, and it made no attempt to stand up. The conservation officer service was called to dispatch the bear.

That was the second bear destroyed in a week after a bear was killed on Friday, Oct. 7. In that case a bear damaged buildings and broke into a residence in Alpine Meadows. The bear would not leave the residence even after being shot by rubber bullets. It then attacked a dog in the area. A decision was made soon after to destroy the bear.

The conservation officer service has also attempted to capture a bear in the White Gold area, which has broken into at least two homes in search of food.



Add a comment