News » Whistler

RCMP still searching for drowning victim

Memorial held Monday for boyfriend who tried to save her



The RCMP have not given up in their search for Amy Wong.

Sgt. Shawn LeMay with the Whistler detachment said Tuesday that members are continuing their search for the woman from the Lower Mainland who went missing August 6 after plunging into the Cheakamus River on a fly-fishing trip.

"We are still looking for the female," LeMay said. "We've suspended our formal search but as recently as (Tuesday), a couple of investigators were still going to the area to see if there was more that we could do.

"We are still making some efforts, communicating with family, but we don't have anything further to report."

The RCMP has not officially identified the couple at the wishes of the families but Facebook and other media have identified them as Wong and Justin Chan, 34.

The incident occurred Saturday, August 6 when Wong and boyfriend Chan were fly-fishing in the fast-flowing Cheakamaus River close to the Cal-Cheak campground.

It's believed that Wong thought she caught a fish, waded into deeper water and then went under, followed soon after by Chan, who is believed to have drowned trying to save her. Both were wearing chest high waders.

Friends and family held a memorial for Chan at Burnaby's Forest Lawn Funeral Home on Monday. One friend posting on the event's Facebook wall called him a "great all around guy" whose "heroism will never be forgotten."

Prairie fire leads to hot situation

A male was arrested in the Village on Sunday after causing a commotion in a bar - upset, it seemed, over his wife downing a shot that made her vomit.

The Whistler RCMP got a call from the BC Ambulance Service in the early morning of August 14, indicating they were responding to a call about a woman who consumed alcohol to the point it made her vomit.

It turned out she'd downed a shot combining tequila with Tabasco sauce - known colloquially as a "Prairie Fire" - without realizing what she was consuming and then proceeded to get sick immediately.

Later that day, at about 11:58 in the evening, a caller from a Village pub notified the RCMP that a male, later identified at the woman's husband, was throwing glasses in the bar.

"The subject was apparently with the staff of the pub over what had allegedly occurred the previous night in relation to his wife being sick from a drink she had consumed," LeMay said.

"The husband was subsequently held by pub staff as police were responding but he quickly fled the scene and took off running."