News » Whistler

RCMP nab suspected shoplifters



Three men in their early 20s from Abbotsford and Langley are facing charges of theft under $5,000 and possession of stolen property after a mini crime spree on June 19.

According to the RCMP, they received a call at roughly noon regarding thefts at two stores, and after reviewing the security camera footage they combed the village. The police located the three men, and soon after found their car, where the stolen property from the two stores, mostly clothing items, were located — as well as items that are believed to be stolen from other stores, but have not been reported as stolen. The police also found a small amount of marijuana in the vehicle.

The three men were held until they could appear before a Justice of the Peace, and then released on an undertaking to appear in court in North Vancouver on Aug. 1.

Two more skateboarders injured

On June 21, emergency services in Whistler attended to two skateboarders with serious head injuries.

At 2:45 p.m., a southbound skateboarder on Blackcomb Way crashed, resulting in a loss of consciousness and several other injuries. The 25-year-old Whistler resident was taken to the Whistler Health Care Centre for treatment and later released.

At 8 p.m., the RCMP received a call from the Whistler Health Care Centre seeking its assistance in identifying a skateboarder who attended the clinic with a head injury he had sustained in the skatepark. According to the report he walked to the health care centre where he went into seizures. The BC Ambulance Service transported the 24-year-old Whistler resident to Vancouver General Hospital for treatment.

Neither of the two men was wearing a helmet.

That brings the number of hospitalized skateboarders to three in just 10 days, after a skateboarder fractured his foot crashing into a car in the Bayshores subdivision on June 11. The 18-year-old male in that accident was also not wearing a helmet.

"The message is, if you go skateboarding, wear a helmet," said Sergeant Eric Rochette. "They would certainly have minimized head and facial injuries in these cases."

RCMP seeks help after village assault

At 1 a.m. on June 22, the Whistler RCMP received a call from the BC Ambulance Service regarding a male that was assaulted outside a village nightclub. The 22-year-old Whistler resident was intoxicated, and reportedly tried to break up a fight when one or more of the combatants turned on him. When police arrived he was bleeding from his eye and mouth.

He did not know any of the suspects and the police are asking anyone who saw anything in the area around the Delta Whistler Village Suites to call 604-932-3044 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Suspect caught by alarm

At 2 a.m. on June 19, the Squamish RCMP responded to an alarm at the Shell Service Station on Highway 99. When they arrived they found the front door smashed, though no one had gained entry to the building.

A 29-year-old male from Squamish, known to the police, was in the area and attempted to ride away on a bicycle. With the help of a police dog he was caught, and it was confirmed that the mountain bike he was riding was stolen. He was arrested for possession of stolen property and is being investigated in the attempted break and enter.

Pemberton fundraiser float still missing

As of press time, the $500 float for Pemberton Fire Rescue's fundraising car wash on June 9 was still missing.

The fundraiser raised $3,400 for the Pemberton Fire Rescue Association and Interact, Pemberton's youth rotary group. However, the $500 float put up by fire fighter Kyle Bubbs went missing.

"It's not a huge amount. It's more of a kick in the you-know-what to steal from a fundraiser," he said.

 "It's basically our vacation money. We go to Hawaii every year to hang out with our kids and we cash that in and it's our spending money."

After the money wasn't returned, Bubbs reported the theft to the RCMP on June 15.

Of the firefighters' $1,700 share of the fundraiser, $500 will go to support a participant in the Ride to Conquer Cancer.