News » Whistler

RCMP: Marijuana grow-ops raided



The RCMP seized plants from nine different outdoor marijuana grow operations on Saturday, Aug. 24, which has become an annual tradition in the corridor as police use helicopters to search for illegal operations prior to harvest time. All of the grow sites were on Crown land, and no arrests have been made.

RCMP teams eradicated four grow ops in the Pemberton area, three sites with roughly 550 plants and one site with approximately 1,000. In the In-SHUCH-ch area, RCMP teams cut 250 plants. At Soo River they found three grows, two with 200 plants and one with 300. In D'Arcy one site yielded 865 plants.

According to Staff Sergeant Steve LeClair of the Whistler RCMP, the search for illegal fields is an annual event.

All of the marijuana is in storage and will be burned at a later date.

Male arrested for assault, breaching court order

At 2:26 a.m. on Aug. 22, the RCMP received a call from a woman after her ex-boyfriend showed up and unlawfully entered a residence on the 4,300-block of Northlands Boulevard. The male allegedly threw a bottle at the woman and pushed her.

The male was under a court order not to have contact with the complainant. A 26-year-old Whistler male was arrested for breach of the court order and assault.

Male arrested for breach

On Aug. 21 at 10:44 a.m. the RCMP received a call regarding a male in his 40s with no shirt and shorts drinking beer on a bench on the village stroll. The RCMP attended and spoke to the male, who did have open alcohol, and determined that he was in violation of a court order not to drink alcohol or be found in possession of non-prescription drugs. On arrest the male was found with approximately nine grams of hashish.

The male was held in custody until the next day, and transported to court in North Vancouver. The male, identified as Ben Strongitharm, pleaded guilty to breach and was sentenced to one day in jail.

SAR retrieve injured hiker

On Aug. 22 the Pemberton RCMP received a report regarding a hiker with an injured back on Marriott Mountain. BC Ambulance was contacted, but it was too dark to respond by helicopter and the group headed to Wendy Thompson Hut in Marriott Basin to take shelter for the night. Pemberton Search and Rescue flew in the next morning and extracted the injured hiker, who was hurt in a fall.

On Aug. 24 at 9:12 p.m. the RCMP received a call regarding a male and four females lost in the Brandywine Mountain area. It was too late to mount a rescue, and the group was counselled to build a small fire and wait until a helicopter could find them in the morning. A Whistler male and four Japanese females were flown from the Grizzly Creek area the next morning.


Add a comment