A rash of thefts in Sea to Sky, including 10 vehicles stolen in the last two weeks, may be the work of a group of thieves who may be involved in the latest Benchlands incident where a condo hotel employee was sprayed with bear spray after interrupting a theft in progress.
The RCMP could not confirm that there is a group of thieves, but say there is a chance that many of the incidents reported in recent weeks are related. A woman from Squamish who is known to police has been arrested and charged in one car theft and chase, but RCMP are still investigating possible connections between all the cases reported in the region.
Most recently, on Friday Jan. 16, RCMP gave chase to a 1992 Acura that was stolen from Government Road in Squamish. The suspect fled north, and the Squamish RCMP backed off their chase for public safety reasons, and contacted the Whistler RCMP to set up a roadblock with spike strips.
The highway was closed southbound while northbound traffic was allowed to get through.
After the car didn't turn up, the police determined that the car had turned off the highway. They later discovered the abandoned vehicle stuck inside the entrance to the Rubble Creek trail in Garibaldi Provincial Park. A dog team was brought up from North Vancouver, and after two hours the RCMP apprehended Dawn Ashley Robson, 22, who was charged with theft over $5,000, dangerous operation of a motor vehicles, flight from police, prohibited driving and possession of a controlled substance. Robson, a Squamish resident, was known to Squamish RCMP.
The RCMP are still investigating but say the incident may be related to a rash of other vehicle and property thefts in Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton areas.
· Between Jan. 8 and 10 a navy blue Toyota Tacoma with a burgundy cab was taken from the upper parking lot of Tyrol Lodge on Alta Lake Road, licence plate 5355EY. Left in its place was a 1997 Geo Tracker that was reported stolen on Jan. 8 from the underground lot at Franz's Trail.
· On Jan. 10 a white Ford F350 with a red and black Ski-Doo was stolen from a parking area near the Hurley Forest Service Road, licence plate 3637KS.
· On Jan. 11 a 1995 light blue Toyota Tacoma was stolen from Eva Lake Road in Whistler, licence plate AA4804.
· On Jan. 12 a year 2000, red Ford F350 was stolen from the same parking area at the Hurley as the previous theft, licence plate 639IGC.
· On Jan. 12, a 1992 green Toyota Camry was stolen in the late evening from Easy Street in Whistler, licence plate 925JXR.