This week the elementary school sent home a second notice about the man, 32-year-old Lawrence Arnold Miller.
He is First Nations, short and has scruffy black hair. He is often walking dogs.
Miller has no criminal record, but he has been before the courts and was released into the community on a number of conditions which were aimed at keeping him away from people under 14 years old unless with a sanctioned adult.
Last week he violated those conditions by hanging around Myrtle Philip and engaging a female student in conversation despite having been told earlier by a school official to leave the grounds.
The school reported the incident to police, which recommended charges to Crown counsel. Miller was arrested last weekend with a police recommendation that he be held in custody. But he was released by the courts with an additional restriction of not being allowed to be on the grounds of Myrtle Philip.
He will appear on these charges in North Vancouver on May 31.
The RCMP had hoped to issue a public warning but was advised not to by lawyers. However, a full description and a picture of Miller are available to concerned parents through the school principal, Ron Albertin.
The police do plan on seeking further restrictions on Miller including a daytime curfew.
"The issue for the police is the management of this person for his own safety and for the safety of the public," said Staff Sgt. Norm McPhail. "The last thing we want here is a victim."
Addressing a Parent Advisory Council meeting this week McPhail said: "This is a reminder to us all to watch out and watch closely."
Parent Cheryl Morningstar agreed. "This is a little wake-up call not to be paranoid but to remember we are not as isolated as we think we are."
The incident has generated a discussion in her home, she said, which the family has never had before.
Local daycares have also been issued the warning and other schools have been notified.
Myrtle Philip school has restricted the playgrounds so that students are not allowed to play in or near the woods around the school and adult supervisors continue to monitor the children during school breaks.
Parents are welcome to come and help monitor the kids and can call the office to arrange it.
All the students have been reminded of "stranger danger" in class and that they are not allowed off school grounds.
"For everyone it is a wake-up call," said Albertin. "We havent had an incident, but it just shows us that we must do due diligence all the time because it can happen in our community.
"And hopefully it shows that within our school and our community that we do have processes in place to deal with these issues and we are trying to be as diligent as we can."