News » Sea to Sky

Police turn to public for help locating missing man

Police Briefs: Whistler man found in creek with head injury; Missing hiker turns up



Local police are hoping the public can help track down a man who was last seen nearly two years ago.

It’s believed that 54-year-old Bernard Aubrey Beaumont last resided in the Pemberton area. Staff Sgt. Paul Hayes said Beaumont lived “a bit of a reclusive lifestyle,” and has not been seen for approximately a year and a half.

No foul play is suspected.

“This is a bit of a well-being check,” Hayes noted. “We’re trying to ensure that he’s OK and he’s fine, but we just have no leads to go on at this point as to where he may be. All of the things we’ve tried to seek out, we haven’t been able to locate him.”

The good news is that Mounties have already begun to receive tips since putting word out of the missing man early Tuesday, Sept. 12.

“So this story might be coming to a conclusion and this might project the file a little further along,” Hayes said.

Anyone with relevant information is asked to contact the Pemberton RCMP at 604-894-6634.

Whistler man recovering after being found unconscious in creek

A man who briefly went missing from his Whistler home last week was later found unconscious in a creek and treated for injuries.

On Friday, Sept. 8, Whistler RCMP received a report of a 42-year-old man who had disappeared from his residence in Nordic. Friends told police the man had “serious” medical issues and was unable to care for himself.

He was subsequently discovered unconscious in a creek with a laceration to his head, police said. Officers on the scene helped pull the man from the creek before he regained consciousness. Paramedics treated the man for non-life threatening injuries, police said.

Missing hiker turns up safe and sound

A hiker who went missing in the Squamish backcountry eventually turned up safe and sound, in large part because he had notified family of his whereabouts beforehand, police said.

On Monday, Sept. 4, Squamish RCMP heard word of a hiker who had not returned as planned from a three-day trip off the Ashlu Forest Service Road.

It wasn’t until the next day that the man made it to safety unharmed and notified police and loved ones.

“This shows the importance of notifying family of travel plans and expected in and out dates and times,” said Cpl. Sascha Banks in a release. “Many areas of the Squamish backcountry do not have cell service and therefore the ability to contact anyone during an emergency does not exist. Luckily the hiker was uninjured and safe.”

Add a comment