News » Whistler

National Olympic committees seeking liquor licences

Applications expected to go to council Dec. 15



The United States Olympic Committee wants one, so too the National Olympic Committees of Austria and of Slovenia - temporary liquor licences for the 2010 Games.

They are just some of the seven different organizations looking for special licences to meet their hospitality needs in February and March.

"We haven't received any further ones at this point," said municipal planner Frank Savage.

Whistler Cooks, for example, has applied to the British Columbia Liquor Control and Licensing Branch for a licence from Feb. 4 to 27 for the Whistler Sliding Centre. The area has a maximum capacity of about 1,000 inside and 100 in outdoor patio space. The hours of operation requested are 9 a.m. to 1 a.m. daily.

The application has been made on the behalf of the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Games (VANOC).

Behind the Scenes Catering, again on behalf of VANOC, has applied for a licence for the Whistler Mountain Timing Flats at Creekside from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. That area has a maximum capacity of more than 800 people.

Both locations will be temporary tent structures at the official venues.

Three Olympic Committees  - the USA, Austria and Slovenia - have also applied for licences. The USA will be hosting at a private residence on Alta Lake Road, the Austria Passive House at Lost Lake Park and Slovenia will be at the Westin Resort and Spa Hotel.

Nicklaus North is also being considered as a location for extended liquor hours for the month of February, as per an application from RGS-Sport-Marketing GmbH, on behalf of Federation Internationale de Luge.

Finally, the Resort Municipality of Whistler is also applying for temporary licenses for both the Whistler Public Library (home of the Canadian Olympic Committee), and MY Millennium Place (home of the unaccredited media centre).

The applications will likely go to council for its approval at the Tuesday, Dec. 15 meeting.

Residents and business owners can comment on the application in writing to municipal hall on or before Dec. 3.


Add a comment