Mainroad Howe Sound Contracting would like to warn motorists and residents of the dangers of slippery conditions during and after rain following an extended dry period.
Rain and snow can make roads slippery, especially after a long dry period. Rain is forecasted over the next several days and Mainroad, a Winter Driving Safety Alliance Partner, is suggesting everyone drive with caution.
Shift into Winter is a joint provincial initiative supported by organizations committed to improving the safety of drivers during the winter months. www.shiftintowinter.ca
Here are some tips to keep you safe on the road:
1. Maintain a safe following distance. It takes longer to stop on a slippery road. Look ahead and keep plenty of distance between you and other cars (at least four seconds).
2. Drop your speed to match road conditions.
3. Watch for black ice. Slow down when approaching icy areas such as shaded areas, bridges and overpasses as these sections of road freeze sooner than others in cold weather. Watch for "black ice", areas of the road with a thin, almost invisible coating of ice, as it can cause your vehicle to suddenly lose traction, braking and cornering control.
4. Accelerate and brake slowly. When starting from a stop on slick roads, start slowly and accelerate gradually to maintain traction and avoid spinning your wheels. When stopping, plan well in advance, apply the brakes gently and slowly add pressure rather than braking suddenly.
5. Avoid sudden moves. Slow down and steer smoothly and gradually to avoid skidding. Accelerate gently, turn slowly, and brake carefully and early. Avoid unexpected quick movements that could put you in a spin. Anticipate turns, stops, and lane changes well before they occur.
6. Know how to handle a skid. A skid happens when your wheels slide out of control on a slippery surface and is a result of driving too fast for road conditions. If you start to skid, ease off the brake or accelerator, look and steer smoothly in the direction you want to go. Be careful not to over steer. If you are on ice and skidding in a straight line, step on the clutch or shift to neutral.