For more than 30 years the Equist Slalom has been a major event for junior ski skiers in the Lower Mainland region. Last weekend at Mount Seymour Jerry McArthur of the Whistler Mountain Ski Club added his name to the historic trophy as the mens combined champion for 2001.
The races, which also included some FIS racers, were held under broken cloud and perfect racing conditions on the Unicorn run.
Women, Feb. 24
- Katherine Benjamin, Grouse 1:26.91
- Jenni Graham, Mt. Washington 1:27.35
- Alison Leighton, Whistler 1:29.93
- Britt Gibbons, Whistler 1:30.69
- Mila Rusimovich, Whistler 1:31.20
- Meredith Mclean, Whistler 1:33.14
- Taryn Ng, Whistler 1:26.80
- Meredith Mclean, Whistler 1:26.81
9. Vanessa Disler, Whistler 1:35.04
Women, Feb. 25
1. Katherine Benjamin, Grouse 1:21.15
2. Jenni Graham, Mt. Washington 1:22.49
3. Britt Gibbons, Whistler 1:23.29
4. Mila Rusimovich, Whistler 1:23.46
5. Alison Leighton, Whistler 1:23.85
Men, Feb. 24
- Kyle Stubbs, Mt. Washington 1:26.00
- Michael Messeguer, Whistler 1:28.64
- Jerry McArthur, Whistler 1:29.27
- Shaun Stroshin, Whistler 1:29.32
Men, Feb. 25
- Kristopher Koch, Grouse
- Darren Chaddock, Whistler
- Jeffrey Stahr, Cypress
- Jerry McArthur, Whistler
Junior racers will be taking part in the annual Bob Parsons Memorial Downhill March 10-11 on the Lower Dave Murray course. This event will see K1 and K2 racers (ages 11-15) from the Coast Zone: Cypress, Seymour, Grouse, Mt. Washington, Hemlock and Whistler.
Meanwhile, the national juvenile championships will be held March 17-25 at Mont Tremblant, Quebec. Twelve boys and seven girls were chosen to represent B.C. after time trials were held early in February at Panorama. Britt Gibbons and Alison Leighton, two members of the Whistler Mountain Ski Club, will be competing in downhill, super G, GS and slalom at Tremblant.