News » Whistler

Long weekend keeps RCMP busy



The Whistler RCMP were kept busy over the B.C. Day long weekend, responding to over 30 noisy parties and disturbance calls, but there were few arrests.

A news release from the police said that RCMP members were dealing with parties, yelling in public areas, public intoxication and fights into the wee hours of just about every day over the holiday weekend.

On July 31, at about 1:20 a.m., the RCMP responded to an incident at a nightclub where a male, believed to be with a group of friends from Vancouver, picked a fight with a bouncer. RCMP foot patrols were notified that a fight was in progress and they attended the scene but the man was nowhere to be found.

The police got a description of the individual and looked for him throughout the village and finally found the ones they believed were the culprits, just as they were getting into cabs.

"We got the descriptions and we looked all over the place and we find people that are matching the descriptions but there are just so many of them," RCMP Sgt. Shawn LeMay said in an interview.

RCMP members later talked to a co-operative person at the scene who informed them that the man who started the fight had just left in the first car.

RCMP members encountered similar challenges throughout the weekend, getting reports of incidents without being able to apprehend the individuals involved.

"There was a lot of that on the weekend," LeMay said.

On the same night, at about 3:05 a.m., police got a call about a fight in progress near the gazebo at Town Plaza. Two adult males visiting from Richmond notified police that they were assaulted by a group of four males from North Vancouver.

They said they were minding their own business when the four males approached and tried to engage them in a fight. One of the assailants, it's believed, took sand out of a nearby planter and threw it in a victim's face while another took his shirt off and flexed his muscles, gearing himself up for a fight. Each of the victims was punched in the face.

Police made patrols throughout the night looking for suspects but none were found. Anyone with information on that assault is asked to contact the Whistler RCMP or Crimestoppers.

That was just one of five fights broken up or prevented by foot patrols on Friday and Saturday night, although the latter was quieter. LeMay said that individuals involved in the fights often hailed from Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley communities.

Add a comment