News » Whistler

Local’s remains returned to Canada



Struggle to pay for final trip home continues for Jamie White’s family

Rose White can still picture her son, Jamie, sitting under the garden umbrella this summer clasping a glass of water.

An ear-splitting grin reached all the way to his eyes.

"That was Jamie," said White, anguish undercutting her happy memories.

"It could be 9 a.m., 6 a.m. or 7 a.m. Whenever you decided to get up that is where you would find him, deciding what he wanted to do that day."

Those are cherished times for White and husband Brian who are now coping with the tragic task of dealing with their 27-year-old son’s accidental death in Costa Rica earlier this month.

But instead of finding comfort and solace as they deal with their grief, they are faced with questions surrounding how their strong-swimming son died and how they are going to pay the over $15,000 in bills accumulated to bring Whistler resident Jamie White’s remains home.

"They say it could be three to six months before we get the results of the autopsy," said Rose White, in an anguished voice.

When White spoke to Jamie’s best friend Drue Kosie, who was on vacation with him in Costa Rica, he said her son was just so happy to be down there it was almost irritating.

"I asked right away of they were partying and drinking but Drue said they hadn’t had anything to drink for three days," said White.

"They went for a swim and Drew passed him and went out further than where Jamie was.

"When he looked back, Jamie was taking in water and he got back to him. Jamie passed out and Drue was giving him CPR right there. And then the lifeguards got out there, and they put him on the surf-board and they gave him CPR, but there was no response.

"That is why we are doing the inquiry," she said.

"They put it down there right now as accidental, but I don’t know."

Along with all these questions there are six pages of paperwork and bills.

The family has already sent the Costa Rican authorities $3,000. Last weekend Jamie’s body was finally returned to the family. He died September 1 st .

And to add to the family’s woes, all the paperwork is in Spanish.

"I haven’t got a clue what is on there," said White.

"There is a bill for the coroner, and one for this and one for that and everything is in Spanish."