Sports » Features

Kvicks fastest solo competitors in Sea2Summit

Local racers do well in team competition



Over two days competitors trekked, paddled, cycled, ran, shot arrows and battled the cold and wet in this year’s Sea2Summit Adventure Race, covering a distance of more than 175 kilometres as solos, pairs and teams of four.

This year 250 people took part in the two-day race, spending the first day in the Squamish area and the second day en route to the finish line in Whistler Village.

The first day included a 6 km trek, a 20 km paddle, a 19 km bike, a 12 km trek and another 26 km bike, as well as an archery challenge where competitors could subtract up to 15 minutes off your time.

The second day was comprised of a 75 km bike to Whistler Creek, followed by an 18 km trek to Whistler Village.

North Vancouver’s David Kvick, a well-known figure in local racing, led on both days to finish first among solos with a total time of 11 hours, 11 minutes and 19 seconds – 5:59:44 on day one and 5:11:36 on day two. He was followed by Richard Juryn, a master over 40 racer, in 12:27:26, and Justin Mark in 12:30:19.

Annie Kvick, David’s wife, won the women’s solo title with her time of 13:18:50. Caroline Van Den Bulk of Huntsville, Ontario was second in 14:22:21, and Carey Sather of Cultus Lake was third in 14:27:27.

In the Teams of Two race, the Helly Hansen-John Henry team – Dave Howells and Denis Fontaine of North Vancouver – won the male category with a time of 12:16:54.

The top co-ed team was Regis and Kelly – Mike Cabigon and Marg Fedyna of Edmonton – in 13:05:19.

The top female team was Twin Chicks – Michelle Newton and Alex Watson of North Vancouver in 15:44:21.

From Whistler, Sam Brovender joined Vancouver’s Mark James to finish sixth in the Teams of Two male category, crossing the line in 14:10:37.

The Bleeding Nipples, with Pemberton’s Gary Robbins and Whistler’s Mark Fearman, was eighth in the same category with a time of 14:15:49.

According to Robbins, they were only 12 minutes back of second place after the first day and were still in the running for the podium on Sunday when things went sour.

"Mark and I were near the front of the (bike) pack and keeping pace. We know that running is our strong point and having the race finish with an 18 km run favoured us immensely," said Robbins.

"My bike chain started to skip at Brandywine Falls and eventually would not even stay on my bike. We made it just past the Calcheak Suspension Bridget when disaster struck. My chain had skipped off the rung and grabbed my rear derailleur, ripping it out of place and lodging it in my rear spokes."

Add a comment