Page 9 of 14
Sports and Leisure Answers
1) Sidney Crosby was all of 21 years old hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup, and in his fourth year in the NHL after playing his first game - and scoring his first goal - in October 2005. He hails from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia, and worked his way up through the ranks to be selected first overall by Rimouski Oceanic in the midget draft of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
2) Position Players: Jason Bay (Boston), George Kottaras (Boston), Adam Loewen (Blue Jays), Russell Martin (L.A. Dodgers), Justin Morneau (Minnesota), Peter Orr (Washington), Matt Stairs (Philadelphia), and Joey Votto (Cincinnati Reds). Pitchers: Erik Bedard (Seattle), Jesse Crain (Minnesota), Ryan Dempster (Chicago Cubs), Jeff Francis (Colorado), Rich Harden (Cubs), Shawn Hill (San Diego), Scott Richmond (Blue Jays), R.J. Swindle (Milwaukee).
3) Vancouver's Brent Hayden took the win, though to be fair the 100-metre is not Phelps best event. The win did kick off a minor controversy as commentators accused Hayden of rubbing Phelps' face in the win at the finish, but Hayden says he was celebrating his time and that he and Phelps have a good professional relationship.
4) Squamish's Jamie Cudmore, a big forward, played in his first World Cup for Canada in 2007. The moment he was injured in their match against Wales was the moment the tide turned against Canada, which was winning at that point. When he isn't knocking bodies around for Canada, he plays professionally for ASM Clermont Auvergne in France. His nickname there is "Cuddles," in recognition of his physical play.
5) Squamish's Aleisha Cline, and Whistler's Davey Barr, Ashleigh McIvor and Julia Murray - all of them finishing on the podium this year.
6) Aleksandra Wozniak has made it to the third round in more tournament than before, including the Birmingham Open and French Open against top tour players. She has also made the finals in North American series events, and at just 21 years old she may be Canada's best hope of ever winning a singles major.
7) Bobby Orr, The Crazy Canucks (Dave Murray, Dave Irwin, Ken Read and Steve Podborski), Ferguson Jenkins, George Chuvalo, Gordie Howe, Harry Winston Jerome, Jacques Villeneuve, Jean Beliveau, Jim Elder, Johnny Bower, Kurt Browning, Mario Lemieux, Maurice Richard, Nancy Greene, Rick Hansen, Scotty Bowman, Steve Nash, Toller Cranston, Wayne Gretzky.