Kids as young as eight and as old as 17 took part in the second annual Whistler Kids of Steel Triathlon, as volunteers were rewarded with a stronger than expected turnout of more than 80 participants.
All of the transitions, the swim event, and the finish line were based at Meadow Park Sports Centre, with cyclists tackling the ups and downs of Alta Lake Road on their bikes and running on the Valley Trail towards Rainbow Park.
Although there was a strong local showing with Whistler kids on every podium, several of the top racers were from the Lower Mainland and Seattle area.
One notable exception to the rule was Whistlers Toria Whitney, 17. Not that long ago she was one of the few Whistler youths to participate in triathlons, and she easily won the womens 16-18 race (500 metre swim, 14 km bike and 4 km run) in 1:01:28 more than 20 minutes ahead of the next-fastest girl, and less than two minutes back of the fastest racers in the mens 16-18 group.
Still, she says it wasnt one of her best efforts.
"Id say it went all right," she said. "My swim wasnt very good, probably because I havent been in a pool since November. My bike section was great, I passed everyone out there, and the run was the run it wasnt good or bad, just kind of neutral."
Whitney ski races through the winter months and has been skiing almost daily the past two weeks.
"I was on the hill yesterday," she said. "Its been good, but tiring."
Whitneys day didnt end with the Kids of Steel. After the awards she had to rush over to Spruce Grove where she competed in the B.C. High School Mountain Bike Championships.
The other Whistler gold medals went to Stephen Chilli in the 14-15 age category, Bronwyn Lawrie in the girls 14-15 category, and Tyler Welsh in the boys 8-9 group.
The Kids of Steel triathlon was hosted by the Whistler Triathlon Club, with the help of dozens of volunteers and local sponsors.
Girls 8-9 (100m swim, 4.5km bike, 1.5km run)
1. Anna Midori Yamaoka, West Van 34:00
2. Gabrielle Smith, Whistler 36:38
3. Noelle Krasny, Whistler 36:49
1. Tyler Welsh, Whistler 24:50
2. Rhys Verner, Garibaldi Highlands 26:29
3. Christopher Jackson, Whistler 27:14
1. Sarah Look, Burnaby 26:14
2. Kerry-Anne Hamilton 26:44
3. Natassja Marc, Victoria 28:24
1. Sam Morris, West Van 21:21
2. Curtis Shard, Garibaldi Highlands 25:58
3. Benjamin Flynn, Whistler 26:24
Girls 12-13 (300m, 10 km, 3km)
1. Jenna Bergen, Surrey 57:10
2. Yuki Tsubota, Pemberton 58:50
3. Jocelyn Ramsden, West Vancouver 1:00:13
1. Kai Riess, Pemberton 44:38
2. Josh Robertson, Whistler 52:29
3. Xavier Lemaire, Squamish 53:27
Girls 14-15 (500m, 14km, 4km)
1. Bronwyn Lawrie, Whistler 1:13:06
2. Bria Darlington, Whistler 1:25:35
3. Catriona Blair, Burnaby 1:25:45
1. Stephen Chilli, Whistler 1:02:59
2. Daniel Hasle, Seattle 1:06:27
3. Frazer McGaw, Whistler 1:14:45
1. Toria Whitney, Whistler 1:01:28
2. Chantelle Grills, Whistler 1:24:28
3. Amanda Bailey, Whistler 1:44:02
1. Nicholas Hasle, Seattle 59:54
2. Brett Kelly, Whistler 1:05:57
3. Nick Spence, Whistler 1:07:22