Sports » Features

GranFondo sees big finishes for Zach Garland, Jenny Lehmann

Heat, headwind slow down massive field of cyclists



The top riders attacked early on West Vancouver's Taylor Way and kept attacking all the way through Squamish and the Cheakamus Canyon, but despite the early effort the times were slightly slower for the second running of the RBC GranFondo Whistler.

Battling a headwind and crosswinds, and heat that would peak over 31 C that day, Zach Garland broke away from the lead pack with just under 20km to go, and never looked back. Unlike last year's dramatic sprint to the finish where the top seven riders finished within a second of each other, Garland was alone with a gap of just over five minutes.

He pulled in at 3:16:02, almost two minutes slower than the top time in 2010. Adam Thuss was second in 3:19:14 and Craig Jones third by six-tenths of a second.

"I had a hard time in July for B.C. Superweek where I just imploded physically, so I made a decision to put my major season goals off and put 100 per cent of my focus on the 'Fondo," said Garland. "I dedicated 10 weeks of my life to get ready for this race, I pre-rode the course and came in with a plan. That said, it was also super hard."

Garland wasn't sure where he was going to try and break from the lead group, which established itself on Taylor Way in West Vancouver and held together for almost 100km of hard riding at speeds averaging 40km/h. Eventually, Garland's body provided the answer.

"The decision was sort of made for me with about 20km to go, " he said. "I was starting to cramp pretty badly, so I knew I had to go or I'd never get another chance."

Thuss gave full credit to Garland.

"We were all riding really well, all six of us. And then Zach just hit it. We were slow to respond, and by the time we got organized he was just gone," he said. "It was a different race this year. Last year the lead group kind of waited a bit through Squamish before breaking away, but the six of us were pushing it the whole way. It probably would have been nice to have a few more in there to battle the headwinds."

Whistler's Ben Chaddock was happy with his race overall, placing eighth in 3:23:47. Not bad, considering that two days earlier he placed second in the Challenge Sprint Canada in Quebec and was promoted to the pro race.

"I woke up at 2 a.m. last night, had breakfast at 3 a.m. and then went to bed for another hour-and-a-half of sleep, that's how badly my clock is off," he said. "But my job is to suffer."