There was a bit of confusion in the week leading up to the Comfortably Numb Trail Run as management switched from the Run the North Shore series to the 5 Peaks series, but in the end organizers got over 90 athletes at the start for the 25km race on Sunday.
The course was muddy and wet from the previous night's rain, but that didn't seem to slow down the top racers. Ed McCarthy of Vancouver reached the finish line in a solid 1:54:57, followed by Whistler's Seamus Frew in 2:01:00 and Tom McCarthy in 2:03:20.
The women's race went to Abbigail May of Salmon Arm in 2:30:43, followed by Darbykai Standrick of North Vancouver in 2:32:53 and Hannah Garcia of Whistler in 2:38:48.
Garcia ran the race for the first time in 2011, finishing second in her age category. Her time was also faster in 2011, but given the muddy conditions times were slower overall in 2012.
"It was definitely a lot muddier this year, but it was a sunny and beautiful day and a good day to be out running," she said.
"There were a couple of other girls I was racing out there. The two top girls, I didn't even see, but there were a few other girls in the pack that I was trying to stay ahead of. I love it. I think the whole course is awesome, and I love the downhill part. I ride my bike on it, so I know the descent well, which I think helps a lot."
Garcia said she plans to race a few more local events, including the Xterra and the 5 Peaks run.
Last week, 5 Peaks told Pique that they jumped at the chance to host the race as a warm-up for a new ultra race that will make it's debut on Sept. 2. The Meet Your Maker is a 50-mile (80 kilometre) trail run with a focus on singletrack and 3,620 metres of elevation gain from start to finish.
You can do it solo or with a team of up to seven racers, and one of the legs is Comfortably Numb.
The total course distance also includes the 4.4 km Peak 2 Peak Gondola, but that's after running up the side of Blackcomb. For more on that event, visit www.meetyourmaker50.com.
Comfortably Numb Results
Men 20 to 29
1 Ed McCarthy, Vancouver — 1:54:57
2. Mike McMillan, Vancouver — 2:05:15
3. Brad Schalles, Vancouver — 2:18:26
Women 20 to 29
1. Darbykai Standrick, North Van — 2:32:53
2. Stephanie Askwith, Whistler — 3:09:56
Men 30 to 39
1. Seamus Frew, Whistler — 2:01:00
2. Tom McCarthy, Vancouver — 2:03:20
3. Tom Craik, North Van — 2:16:59
Women 30 to 39
1. Hannah Garcia, Whistler — 2:38:48
2. Ann Strawhorn, Redding — 2:46:01
3. Jeanine Ball, Vancouver — 2:56:52
Men 40 to 49
1. Brian May, Salmon Arm — 2:15:06
2. Willian Logie, Toronto — 2:20:56
3. Kevin Dumba, Calgary — 2:22:46
Women 40 to 49
1. Abbigail May, Salmon Arm — 2:30:43
2. Heather Culbert, Toronto — 2:41:12
3. Kristin Kopec, Whistler — 2:44:43
Men 50 to 59
1. James Griffiths, Vancouver — 2:37:40
2. John Wickenheiser, Kelowna — 2:38:07
3. Barry McClure, Whistler — 2:44:59
Women 50 to 59
1. Doleen Galbraith, Glascow — 2:48:07
2. Sue Nicholson, West Van — 2:58:03
3. Kathleen Birney, Victoria — 3:37:49
Men 60 to 69
1. Jim Budge, Whistler — 3:56:57