Police are investigating the death of a 20-year-old male after a suspected drug overdose last week.
Whistler RCMP responded to a call about a drug overdose at about 11 a.m. on Thursday Nov. 12. Friends found the male unconscious after he ingested a powdered version of the drug MDMA, better known as ecstasy.
Whistler Fire Rescue Services and Emergency Health Services tried to revive the man using CPR but he was pronounced dead later at the Whistler Health Care Centre.
A second male at the same residence was also hospitalized after an apparent overdose of the same drug but he's expected to make a full recovery. The RCMP and the B.C. Coroner Service are investigating.
The RCMP is issuing a warning about the risks involved in taking such "dangerous chemicals" in any form. A news release states that chemical drugs are being used by people with "no apparent knowledge or understanding" of the dangers involved.
MDMA, the police state, is part stimulant and part hallucinogenic drug and can cause extreme health effects such as high blood pressure, body temperature and "dangerously" high heart rates.
Illicit drugs such as MDMA, the police say, are produced by "organized crime groups" with no quality control or concern for the health and safety of users.