News » Whistler

deadly mushroom

comment
Beware poisonous 'shrooms If you go into the woods today … A highly poisonous mushroom in B.C.'s forests can kill the unwary eater, a warning from the provincial health officer says. Appropriately called the "death cap," it can resemble the very edible pine mushroom at an early stage of the pine's growth. "People should be extremely cautious when picking mushrooms for eating," says health officer Dr. John Millar. The deadly mushroom can be identified by a large bulb at the bottom of the stem. It has a whitish or light brown/grey cap. Initial symptoms within 10-24 hours of eating the mushroom include abdominal cramps, vomiting and watery diarrhea. The victim then seems to feel fine, but this is the calm before the kidneys and liver fail completely within a few days, causing death. One cap can kill. There is no antidote.

Add a comment