News » Whistler

cops in 5

RCMP officers attacked during arrest Two Whistler RCMP officers and a civilian received injuries over the weekend as they attempted to subdue a violent suspect following a break and enter in the Upper Village. Keenan Corrigan, 22, has been charged with break and enter, possession of stolen property, assault on a witness and assault on two police officers. Constable Warren Tomalty said the problems began around 3 a.m. on Aug. 15 when guests at the Chateau Whistler said they heard two males breaking into the nearby Whistler One Hour Photo shop. Four employees from the Chateau went to investigate and spotted one male suspect leaving the photo store. As they approached, a second male emerged from the store, carrying a large black knapsack. The suspect bolted but the foursome chased him and caught up with him a short distance away, where they held him while police could be called. Tomalty said the suspect assaulted the civilians, hitting one of them in the head with a sack full of $150 worth of coins. RCMP officers were soon on the scene and found themselves under attack by the suspect. One officer was hit in the face and both were spat upon by the culprit. The suspect was brought back to the RCMP detachment and continued to try to assault the officers, kicking one in the leg. He was hauled into the cells, cursing and spitting. Tomalty said the suspects left the store with two large knapsacks and about 25 cameras, worth more than $8,000, but 18 cameras were recovered when one suspect was captured. A second suspect remains on the loose, and RCMP are asking people with any information on that person or a vehicle associated with the crime to come forward. The suspect at large is described as a white male, approximately 5' 9" in height, who was wearing a dark coloured Yankees baseball cap and dark clothing at the time of the theft. Cpl. Mike Shannon said officers were surprised by the unusual amount of violence in the incident — one officer ended up with a black eye — and said everyone involved in the arrest exercised great control considering the circumstances. Hot car nabbed during road check Something apparently didn't feel right when a local officer stopped the driver of a white 1998 Porsche convertible during a routine roadside check at 1 a.m. on Aug. 15. Tomalty said the officer briefly spoke to the driver and asked him to pull the car over. He quickly discovered that the driver had an expired driver's licence. Running a check on the vehicle’s plates, he discovered that the car had been stolen from Vancouver only a few hours earlier. A 20-year-old suspect from Surrey will appear in Squamish provincial court on Oct. 2 to face car theft charges. The vehicle was not damaged during the course of the theft. Man injured during alcohol-fuelled flight A 22-year-old Whistler resident seemed to over-estimate his super-human powers after an evening of drinking and ended up with fairly serious injuries. Police were called to a party at a residence on Par Road in Whistler Cay Heights at 2:30 a.m. on Aug. 17 after the man fell from a second storey balcony, landing on a rock and a pile of 2x4s. Tomalty said the young man told friends he had been trying to jump from the balcony to a nearby tree, but did not make it. He was taken to the Whistler Health Care Centre for observation after the accident. Bear killed after automobile collision Conservation officers had to be called to Highway 99 again this week after an adult bear was hit by two separate vehicles and severely injured. Tomalty said the incident took place in the early afternoon on Aug. 15 near Daisy Lake Dam. The bear ran across the road and was hit by the first car, and then struck by a second car. Tomalty said the bear appeared to have been paralyzed in the accident and was put out of its misery by a conservation officer. Drivers are asked to continue to be on the look-out for wild animals during the summer and early fall. Thieves busted after cash register robbery Local businesses are reminded to keep an eye on the till after two men were nabbed following a daylight cash robbery. RCMP were called to a local store at 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 16 after a retailer reported the theft of money from a cash register. Two male suspects were identified and apprehended nearby. One, a Romanian national, was discovered to be an illegal immigrant, and was turned over to immigration officials, while the second was wanted on a breach of court order from Eastern Canada. Tomalty said the pair were caught with a substantial amount of money, which was returned to the retailer.

Add a comment